The Institute for Electromagnetic Compatibility is headed by Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Achim Enders and Prof. Dr.-Ing. Michael Terörde and covers an interdisciplinary field of expertise. It is subdivided into the section for Electromagnetic Compatibility under Prof. Dr. Achim Enders and the section for Mobile Electric Energy Systems under Prof. Dr. Michael Terörde.
Competences of the Institute for EMC
EMC - an interdisciplinary field
EMC is an interdisciplinary science which embraces numerous research areas. Consequently the projects at the Institute for EMC are wide-ranging and multifaceted.
The following measuring instruments and simulation tools are available at the Institute for EMC.
Device equipment for signal generation
- Digital Vector Signal Generator from 300 kHz to 6,6 GHz
- Signal generators for CW, AM and FM signals up to 20 GHz
- Arbitrary waveform generator with maximum sampling rate of 65 GSA/s
- Amplifier technology for Electromagnetic Immunity Measurements over 200 V/m up to 8 GHz
- Amplifier technology for testing HF components
HF measurement technology
- Vector Network Analysers from 10 Hz to 24 GHz, 2 and 4 port
- EMI Test Receiver / Spectrum Analyser up to 40 GHz
- Oscilloscope to 6 GHz
- Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR)
- Broadband antennas for power applications (>200W) from 60 MHz to 8 GHz
- Horn antennas up to 24 GHz
- Bikon antennas from 20 to 200 MHz
- Monocon antennas (> 100 MHz)
- Loop antennas from 9 kHz to 30 MHz
- Bulk current injection (BCI) clamps
- Bulk probes for contactless vector network analysis
- field probes for measuring of magnetic (up to 3 GHz) and electric (up to 60 GHz) fields
Available measurement environments
- Shielded room (fieldvariable chamber respectively electromagnetic reverberation chamber) in the dimensions 11,0 x 7,6 x 7,1 m³ for electromagnetic immunity measurments at high field strengths (200 V/m, higher field strength possible if required)
- Possibilities for analysis at a free field
- TEM Cell and µ-TEM Cell
Other measurement technologies
- Electro-optical field sensor system up to 3 GHz
- ILS-VOR receiver for analysis
- Impedance Analyzer (4 Point-Bridge Circuit) from 40 Hz to 110 MHz including BIAS-Tee for Bias-Currents up to 1000 A
- Bit Error Rate Tester (BERT)
- Power Quality measuring device technology incl. transient acquisition
- Numerical programs for field computation based on MoM (Concept) and FEM with time domain and frequency domain solver (CST-Microwave Studio)
- In order to control the meters needed in our projects we develop demand-actuated software using mainly LabView and MATLAB. Part of the gathered data is immediately analysed and saved applying EXCEL. Thus automatized measurements are realised fast and securely.
- Two measurement vehicles for external measuring campaigns; one of them is equipped with a 10 kW three-phase generator in order to implement measurments autonomously from access to a power grid.
Advisory activities embrace problems arising during development as well as production processes. The extent of those activities varies since they are applied individually.
Expert opinions concerning the whole field of EMC can be furnished (e.g. problems with displays under magnetic field exposure, ESD, grounding, shielding, radiated EMC).
Cooperation in committees for EMC standardisation
DKE, CISPR, IEC, EUROCAE