1745 The Collegium Carolinum is established, a new type of educational institution between secondary school and university, where mathematical/technical subjects are taught alongside humanities and fine arts.
1862 The institute is renamed the Polytechnic School. It is organized in eight technical and scientific departments.
1878 The polytechnical school is renamed Herzogliche Technische Hochschule Carolo-Wilhelmina (TH).
1900 The TH is accredited to award doctorates.
1909 Women are allowed to enrol.
1933 Political alignment of the TH: the institution loses nearly 20% of its academic staff during the early period of the Nazi regime.
1945 Despite 70% of the institution being destroyed, the TH resumes lectures. It is the first German technical university to do so.
1968 After the establishment of a department for humanities and social sciences, the TH is renamed Technische Universität or TU (Institute of Technology).
1978 The teacher training college is incorporated into the TU.
1995 Under the slogan »Project Future«, TU Braunschweig celebrates its 250th anniversary.
2003 Establishment of the Centre for Humanities and Social Sciences at the Northern campus.
2006 Creation of TU9, an association of the nine leading German Institutes of Technology.
2007 Reorganization of the TU in six departments. Braunschweig is named the »City of Science 2007«. Foundation of the Automotive Research Centre Niedersachsen (NFF).
2009 Foundation of the Aeronautics Research Centre Niedersachsen (NFL). Creation of the Braunschweig Integrated Centre of Systems Biology (BRICS).
2012 Creation of the Centre for Pharmaceutical Process Engineering (PVZ).
2013 Establishment of the Laboratory of Emerging Nanometrology (LENA).
2015 The NTH is discontinued as of January 1.
2016 Completion of the Open Hybrid LabFactory research campus. Inauguration of the Masch.Bau students‘ building.