The Advanced ATS Simulation (AdAS) project, part of the Cluster of Excellence "Sustainable and Energy-Efficient Aviation" (SE²A), will develop a significantly advanced simulation platform for the air transport system (ATS). It will build on leading, existing simulations, but, to meet the demands of sustainable and energy-efficient aviation, AdAS will take a leap forward in simulation technology that can only be achieved by a substantial effort in fundamental research.
The main challenges for fundamental research are the following:
- A higher level of accuracy requires integration or partial integration of different simulations and simulation levels.
- A useful model of an energy-efficient ATS must reflect that the modeled decisions in the ATS are increasingly being taken by optimization, in particular to enhance energy efficiency. Therefore, the simulation itself must perform optimization of modeled decisions.
- The future ATS will show an increased complexity. The AdAS must be able to simulate it, identify its scale and allow developing strategies to cope with this complexity.
- The simulation must be robust against changes in the input data to allow for dependable planning.
- The simulation must be adjustable to different technologies and the corresponding ATSs.