Laboratory

Our laboratory is 140 m long and 40 m wide and has thus a working area of 5600 m². 30% of the area is occupied by permanent installations for basic research (e.g., hydraulic flumes, wave channels, harbour basin, etc.). The other 70% of the area are used for physical scale models related to practical hydraulic engineering problems (weirs, sluices, spillways, dams, rivers, harbours, navigation channels, etc.). The laboratory is equipped with a closed water circuit for which an underground water tank serves as reservoir. From this tank the water is pumped to a high level tank (10 m head) and distributed to the flumes and scale models via a pipe system.

LWI-Versuchshalle
Photo credit: LWI/TU Braunschweig

The laboratory is mainly used by the divisions of Hydraulic Engineering and River Morphology and Hydromechanics, Coastal & Ocean Engineering. The department of Wastemanagement operates also various experimental stands in the lab. Detailed information related to the experimental facilities can be obtained from the interactive picture below using the mouse. Further information to the related projects can be found on the pages of the divisions.

The laboratory is part of the research infrastructure of the Energie-Forschungszentrum Niedersachsen.

If you are interested in using our facilities or if you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Francisco Núñez-González.