TU BRAUNSCHWEIG

History

1745

The Collegium Carolinum is established, a new type of educational institution between secondary school and university, where mathematical/technical subjects are taught alongside humanities and fine arts.

1862

The institute is renamed the Polytechnic School. It is organized in eight technical and scientific departments.

1878

The polytechnical school is renamed Herzogliche Technische Hochschule Carolo-Wilhelmina (TH).

1900

The TH is accredited to award doctorates.

1909

Women are allowed to enrol.

1933

Political alignment of the TH: the institution loses nearly 20% of its academic staff during the early period of the Nazi regime.

1945

Despite 70% of the institution being destroyed, the TH resumes lectures. It is the first German technical university to do so.

1968

After the establishment of a department for humanities and social sciences, the TH is renamed Technische Universität or TU (Institute of Technology).

1978

The teacher training college is incorporated into the TU.

1995

Under the slogan »Project Future«, TU Braunschweig celebrates its 250th anniversary.

2003

Establishment of the Centre for Humanities and Social Sciences at the Northern campus.

2006

Creation of TU9, an association of the nine leading German Institutes of Technology.

2007

Reorganization of the TU in six departments. Braunschweig is named the »City of Science 2007«. Foundation of the Automotive Research Centre Niedersachsen (NFF).

2012

Creation of the Centre for Pharmaceutical Process Engineering (PVZ).

2013

Establishment of the Laboratory of Emerging Nanometrology (LENA).

2015

The NTH is discontinued as of January 1.

2016

Completion of the Open Hybrid LabFactory research campus. Inauguration of the Masch.Bau students‘ building.

2017

Relocation to the new Centre for Pharmaceutical Process Engineering (PVZ).

2017

Record high of 20.116 students.


  last changed 20.06.2019
TU_Icon_E_Mail_1_17x17_RGB pagetop