TU Braunschweig has defined one of its core research areas to create safe, efficient and sustainable mobility for the future (https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/en/mobility-1). In aviation research, we follow an interdisciplinary research concept, jointly with DLR and Leibniz University Hannover, within the Cluster of Excellence “SE²A - Sustainable and Energy-Efficient Aviation”. The Cluster defines scientific and technological foundations for a sustainable future global air transport system to meet the mobility demands. It defines solutions for transformation needs of the air transport system by introducing new aircraft technologies, new energy storage and conversion approaches, and fundamental evaluations of the overall aviation system. (https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/en/se2a).
The Cluster of Excellence is structured into the three core research areas, namely “Assessment of the Air Transport System (A)”, focusing on Operations Research, technology assessment and life cycle analysis, “Flight Physics and Vehicle Systems (B)” for new aircraft technologies in flight physics and aircraft structures, and “Energy Storage and Conversion (C)”, focusing on vehicle energy storage and conversion systems and full- and hybrid-electric aircraft drive systems. The Cluster has established Junior Research Groups (JRG) as an effective means to generate effective thrusts in critical research fields. We therefore search for JRG leads with a doctoral degree and a strong research background in their respective fields.
Starting from the earliest possible date, the Cluster of Excellence “SE²A - Sustainable and Energy-Efficient Aviation” is looking for a
Junior Research Group Lead (m/f/d) in the
Cluster of Excellence SE²A - Sustainable and Energy-Efficient Aviation (EXC 2163)
(full-time – fixed-term)
The position is to be filled on a fixed-term basis until 31st December 2025.
A new JRG on Analysing and Modelling the Atmospheric Impact of Novel Propulsion Technologies shall be established.
The JRG shall develop and apply a methodology for estimating the impact of novel energy efficient aircraft equipped with new propulsion technologies on the earth climate in the coming decades. Future operational air traffic scenarios including a mix of conventional and energy efficient aircraft shall be considered.
The research shall start from inputs delivered by already ongoing interdisciplinary SE²A research on ovel propulsion technologies, new aircraft designs, and future air traffic management concepts. The JRG shall develop valid scenarios from these inputs targeting an air transport system in the year 2050. Existing methodologies from partners for modelling e.g. atmospheric properties and responses to emissions can be utilized and further developed by own research. The overall outcome shall provide means of estimating the impact of new propulsion systems on the global earth climate in the context of a future air transport system.
The JRG will be comprised of the lead and at least 2 doctoral candidates in collaboration with the German Aerospace Center DLR e.V., funded initially for 3 years as part of the overall project.
Make a Difference:
- You will carry out research in the area of Sustainable and Energy-Efficient Aviation.
- You will apply for and work on research projects.
- You will publish research findings and participate in national and international conferences.
- You have a Master’s degree, a doctoral degree and an excellent record of publications in good venues in your fields, international exposure and participated in competitive research projects.
- You have very good knowledge of the English language.
- You are flexible, can perform under pressure and work well in a team.
- Pay in accordance with the collective agreement TV-L, pay grade 14 TV-L depending on the assignment of tasks and fulfilment of personal requirements.
- A special payment at the end of the year as well as a supplementary benefit in the form of a company pension, comparable to a company pension in the private sector.
- Interesting and diverse tasks in a pleasant working atmosphere with a friendly and motivated team.
- A workplace that is basically suitable for part-time work, although the position is to be filled full-time, as well as flexible working and part-time options and a family-friendly university culture, awarded the “Family-friendly university” audit since 2007.
- A wide range of continuing education and company health care programmes as well as a vibrant campus life in an international atmosphere.
What’s more to know:
We welcome applicants of all nationalities. At the same time, we encourage people with severe disabilities to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified. Please attach a form of evidence of your handicap to your application. We are also working on the fulfilment of the Central Equality Plan based on the Lower Saxony Equal Rights Act (Niedersächsisches Gleichberechtigungsgesetz—NGG) and strive to reduce under-representation in all areas and positions as defined by the NGG. Therefore, applications from women are particularly welcome in this case.
In Cluster of Excellence SE²A we appreciate a team-oriented and communicative style of work. We support all our academics in their scientific and personality development.
The personal data will be stored for the purpose of processing the application. By submitting your application, you agree that your data may be stored and processed electronically for application purposes in compliance with the provisions of data protection law. Further information on data protection can be found in our data protection regulations at www.tu-braunschweig.de/datenschutzerklaerung-bewerbungen. Application costs cannot be reimbursed.
Closing date: 8th of October 2023.
Please send a complete written application in English as a single PDF file to:
Applications have to consist of a cover letter (statement of purpose, including your motivation), your idea of methodical and contextual contribution to the project (length about two pages), full CV, academic certificates and transcripts (bachelor, master, and PhD), and other supporting certificates.
Questions and Answers:
For more information, please call Dr. Doris Pester on +49 (0) 531-391 66663.
gültig bis: 08.10.2023