Living in Braunschweig

Semester ticket, bikes, physicians, emergency numbers and work permits: This page provides you with much of the practical information you might need during your stay in Braunschweig.

Bicycle, bus or train

Travelling by bicycle in Braunschweig

Braunschweig is a city of short distances and the best means of transport is the bicycle. All the main streets have cycle lanes and you can reach the city centre from anywhere in Braunschweig in under 20 minutes. If you want to buy a second-hand bike, there are several options:

Free bus and tram travel with your semester ticket

Your student ID is also your semester ticket, which entitles you to travel free of charge on all buses and trams in the Braunschweig region and all local trains in Lower Saxony.

 Your semester ticket is only valid on presentation of your passport or identity card.

Railway travel in Germany at reasonable prices

When travelling outside the area of validity of your semester ticket, make use of saver fares and discounts from the Deutschen Bahn:

  • BahnCard 25: 25% discount on all DB train tickets for € 41 a year for students aged 26 or younger (valid student ID required)
  • BahnCard 50: 50% discount on all DB train tickets for € 127 a year for students aged 26 or younger (valid student ID required)
  • Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket: One-day pass allowing up to 5 people to travel all over Germany for € 42, valid Saturdays and Sundays only
  • Saver fare: 25% - 50% discount on special train tickets. Book early!
Health & Emergencies

Finding the right doctor

If you fall ill, your first point of contact for all health issues is a general practitioner (Allgemeinmediziner or Hausarzt). The best way to find a good doctor is to ask your fellow students or friends for a recommendation.

If necessary, the general practitioner will refer you to a specialist (Facharzt). Ask your doctor to recommend somebody and to make an appointment for you directly.

Seeing a doctor

Most doctors expect you to make an appointment by telephone. If you are seriously ill, make it clear that you would like to see the doctor that same day. Please remember to take your health insurance card (EHIC card or German health insurance card) with you.

  • If you have statutory health insurance, the doctor will invoice all costs directly to your insurance provider.
  • If you have private health insurance, you will receive an invoice, which you will have to pay. You will then submit that invoice to your health insurance company, which will reimburse you for your expenses.

Most medication in Germany is only available at pharmacies

  • Pharmacies offer a variety of over-the-counter medicines for the most common ailments such as headaches and colds. You will have to pay for these yourself.
  • Many medicines require a doctors's prescription which you will have to take to the pharmacy.
  • If you have statutory health insurance, you will have to pay between € 5 and € 10 for most medicines. The rest is covered by your health insurance.
  • If you have private health insurance, you will have to pay the cost of the medication at the time of purchase, then submit the receipt to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Emergency numbers: 112 Ambulance, fire brigade   /    110 Police

Pharmacy emergency service

Pharmacies offer a pharmacy emergency service on weekends and at night, thus ensuring that you can obtain any urgently needed medicines at all times.

Medical emergency service (Zentraler Notdienst Braunschweig)

In Germany, doctors' practices are closed on Wednesday afternoons and over the weekend. During these times, you should visit the medical emergency service:

Salzdahlumer Straße 90, 38126 Braunschweigg, 0531/ 44033
Monday - Friday: 19:00h – 07:00h // Saturday, Sunday & bank holidays: 00:00h – 24:00h

Accidents: Accident hospital Städtisches Klinikum Braunschweig

Serious emergencies: Call an ambulance immediately, 112.
State your name & address (street & house number) several times, slowly and clearly.

Working in Braunschweig

Do you plan to take a part-time job in order to supplement your funds and gain work experience? Great idea, but please be realistic. Your studies will take up a great deal of time and you cannot and must not fund your studies entirely through part-time work.

German labour law regulations

If you want to get a part-time job in Germany, you must observe the German labour law regulations for international students.

  • Students from non-EU countries are not allowed to work for more than 120 full days or 240 half days.
  • Students who earn more than € 450 per month must pay contributions toward the German pension fund. These contributions are transferable within the EU; students from non-EU countries can apply for a refund.
  • DAAD scholarship holders who want to work while studying in Germany require permission from the DAAD and are not allowed to earn more than € 400 per month.
Disregarding these regulations may lead to your expulsion.
For more information, please contact the foreigners' registration office.

For most jobs, you will need the following documents:

For both card applications you will need your passport / identity card and residence permit.
Residence permit

How to extend your residence permit

  • Make an appointment with the relevant official at the foreigners' registration office approximately 12 weeks prior to expiry of your residence permit.
  • Please remember to bring all the necessary documents with you to your appointment.

Change of address

  • If you move within the city of Braunschweig, you will need to inform the registry office of your new address.
  • If you move to Braunschweig within Germany, please go to the regular office hours foreigners' registration office (no appointment required).
  • Remember to inform the university, your bank and your insurance companies about your new address and place a change-of-address order at the post office.
Renewal of Enrolment & Leave of absence

You will need to renew your enrolment each semester

To renew your enrolment, you will need to pay your semester contributions for the new semester. We recommend that you give the Enrolment Office a direct debit authorisation. That way, the money will automatically be deducted from your account and you cannot forget to make the payment. Please note that there must be sufficient funds in your account at the time of debiting.

Direct debiting dates:

  • 01 February for the following summer semester
  • 01 August for the following winter semester
If you do not wish to give a direct debit authorization, please transfer the money to the TU Braunschweig's account by the above dates.

If you are late in paying your semester contribution, an additional € 15 fee will be levied. If you have not paid by the beginning of the semester, you will be removed from the register of students!

Leave of absence

If you need to suspend your studies for a period of time for unavoidable reasons, you may take a leave of absence. The semesters during which you are absent will not count towards your study time. Please previously make an appointment at the International Office in order to avoid conflicts with your residence permit.

Removal from the register of students

When you finish your studies at TU Braunschweig, you will need to have yourself removed from the register of students. This removal is your official deregistration from TU Braunschweig and it is especially important if you wish to subsequently study at another Germany university.

Guidance services

Financial support

At TU Braunschweig, there are a number of options for students with financial difficulties. Please make an appointment at the International Office to discuss these.


If you are struggling academically or experiencing social difficulties or personal problems, please contact the social counselling service or the Psychological Counselling Centre at the Studentenwerk. They offer a number of counselling arrangements, such as:

  • Individual counselling sessions on financial, social or personal issues
  • Group classes on overcoming exam nerves, proper time management and coping with stress
  • Short-term therapy

Advice for students, from students

The Erasmus Student Network and the Internationale Gauss-Freunde offer support and advice on settling in in Braunschweig as well as on any questions or issues you may have concerning your studies. Simply send them an e-mail or come and see them during their office hours.

Braunschweig in pictures

The historic main building Technische Universität Braunschweig
TU Braunschweig tower of architects
Ducal Palace
The Ducal Palace in Braunschweig: The Residential Palace of the Guelphs was reconstructed in its original size and in its historical location. Now, inside there are a huge shopping centre, the city library and museums.
photo: Rolf Neumann/Pixelio
Palace square
waterspout fountain in front of the Ducal palace | photo: Markus Kräft/Pixelio
Burgplatz: Dankwarderode Castle was the residence of Henry the Lion
Cathedral St. Blasii: This Roman three-nave basilica was built in 1173 and is the burial place of Henry the Lion and Emperor Otto IV
Lion statue
The lion statue: Emblem of Henry the Lion and the first freestanding monument of the Middle Ages
Rider statues
Rider statues of Herzog Friedrich Wilhelm and Herzog Karl Wilhelm Ferdinang situated on the "Löwenwall"
Town Square
The "Altstadtmarkt": The Old City Market has been a location for trade for 700 years.
City view
Braunschweig city views »
The christmas market in Braunschweig around the Cathedral and the twon hall
Old Scale
Old Scale (Alte Waage)
City centre
Shopping malls in the city centre
Theater park
Oker garden
The river Oker forms a ring around Braunschweig


to the top of the page