Preparing to study at TU Braunschweig

Studying abroad requires a lot of preparation

As soon as you receive your letter of acceptance, you can begin to prepare for your stay in Braunschweig. These are the key points that you will need to think about before you depart:

Financing your stay

Please assess your financial means realistically! To help you with your budget planning we have compiled a list of the average living expenses in Braunschweig:

Living expenses per monthBudgetNormalLuxury
  • Accommodation
€ 280 € 320 € 430
  • Food & drink
€ 160 € 190 € 200
  • Clothing
€ 35 € 45 € 55
  • Health insurance
€ 90 € 90 € 90
  • Liability insurance
€ 7 € 7 € 7
  • Study materials, computer, textbooks
€ 45 € 55 € 65
  • Telephone & Internet
€ 35 € 35 € 40
  • Leisure, travel & sports
€ 65 € 80 € 100
Total expenses
€ 717
€ 822
€ 987

Additionally, you will need to pay tuition fees and a semester contribution at the beginning of each new semester.

This is how much other students pay for their studies in Braunschweig:
Lian »  |  Antônio »  |  Max: This is how much it will cost to live in Germany »  [Video/DAAD]

German courses & DSH examination

If your German skills are not sufficient for study at university level, you can learn German at TU Braunschweig before you begin your studies, or you may sit the DSH examination here. To do so, enter the country on a student application visa. The Sprachenzentrum (language centre) at TU Braunschweig offers German language courses of all levels.

Intensive German language course with DSH 2 examination »

Intensive language courses prepare university applicants for the DSH or TestDaF examination in 2 to 12 months, depending on their prior knowledge.

DSH 2 examination without preparation course »

At the TU Braunschweig, the DSH examination is held on several dates throughout the year. The number of places is unfortunately limited. To take part in the examination, applicants will need a proof of successfully completed of a Mittelstufe II or B 2.2 German language course. It is allowed to register for the DSH-examination without an admission letter for a study course from now on.

If you have any questions, please contact the Sprachenzentrum at TU Braunschweig.



Remember to plan your housing well in advance! We recommend that you start looking for a place to stay as soon as you receive your offer.

Living in a hall of residence

The Studentenwerk at TU Braunschweig has 7 halls of residence with more than 1,800 rooms for university students. Room types range from single rooms with a shared kitchen and bathroom to individual apartments. Rents range from € 250 to € 500 including electricity, water and heating. Additionally, you will need to pay a deposit of one month’s rent when you move into your room. Most of the rooms are fully furnished and come with Internet access and a telephone connection. More information »

The halls of residence are generally mixed, but one hall of residence also provides single sex accommodation for female students. For students with disabilities there are some specially adapted apartments available. For more information please contact the Service Office of the Studentenwerk.

Living in a private apartment or shared accommodation (WG)

Braunschweig has a large number of private apartments and shared accommodation (WG) for rent. Prices range from € 250 to € 350 for a room in a shared apartment and from € 350 to € 500 for a single apartment, plus utility costs (electricity, water, heating).

Finding a room or apartment

Rooms and apartments to rent can be found on the university's bulletin boards, in newspapers and here: University's Studentenwerk  |  WG-Gesucht  |  braunschweig.de (link list)

Abbreviations in adverts for apartments

Reading through private apartment adverts, you will find that they use a lot of abbreviations. The Studentenwerk offers a helpful list of the most common abbreviations.

Visa application

Entry without a visa

If you come from one of the following countries, you do not need a visa to enter Germany for study purposes (as of January 2012):

  • EU Member States
  • Israel
  • USA and Canada
  • certain South and Central American States
  • Australia and New Zealand
  • Japan and South Korea

Visa required

Students from all other countries need to obtain a student visa in order to study at TU Braunschweig. Detailed information on visa and travel regulations is provided by the DAAD and the Federal Foreign Office.

Applying for your visa

Remember to apply for a student visa at least three months before your departure for Germany. As soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from TU Braunschweig, you should apply for a visa from your nearest embassy or consulate. To do so, you will need proof of your financial resources.

Do not enter Germany on a tourist visa. You will not be able to enrol at TU Braunschweig with this type of visa.

You will need to prove that you are able to finance your studies

When applying for your visa in your home country, you will need to prove that you have funds totalling € 8,040 when you begin your studies.

  • This is the amount you need to finance your studies in Braunschweig for one year.
  • It breaks down to € 670 per month, which you will need to cover your living expenses as a student in Germany.
Each time you extend your residence permit, you will need to provide this proof of financial resources again. Your residence permit thus depends, among other things, on how long you can verifiably finance your studies in Germany.

All students studying at TU Braunschweig require adequate health and liability insurance. Without sufficient health insurance cover you cannot enrol!

German statutory health insurance for students

The simplest option is to take out German statutory health insurance for students upon your arrival in Braunschweig. It is available from all public health insurance providers and costs around € 80 per month. This insurance covers all costs for medical treatment, consultations and hospital stays, plus most of the cost of any prescription medicines.

If you come from another EU Member State

If you have an EHIC card, you do not need to take out German health insurance. Your health insurance complies with the German standard and covers all medical expenses in Germany. Please remember to apply for your EHIC card well before your departure and make sure it is valid for your entire stay in Braunschweig.

If you are older than 29 years when you begin your studies, ...

you will need to take out private health insurance. We recommend that you do so here in Germany, as many foreign health insurance policies are not accepted in Germany. Make sure to take a close look at the services that are included and seek professional advice on the subject. At the very least, your insurance should cover the same services as the statutory health insurance for students.

Please do not take out travel insurance for the time of your stay in Braunschweig! Travel insurance policies do not provide adequate cover. You will not be able to enrol at TU Braunschweig with travel insurance!

More information:

  DAAD | Verbraucherportal

Liability insurance

A liability insurance policy covers any accidental damage you might cause to other persons and their property. Accidents can easily result in costs amounting to millions of euros, for example if you cause a car or bicycle accident. Without personal liability cover, you alone will be responsible for any damages and the resulting costs. We urgently advise our students to take out personal liability insurance. You can do so here in Braunschweig for about € 7 per month.

Buddy programme

To get you off to a good start in Braunschweig, we can find a peer student for you. Your peer student knows Braunschweig and the university and will:

  • pick you up from Braunschweig Train Station and take you to your accommodation,
  • assist you with formalities such as enrolment, opening a bank account, visiting the foreigners' registration office and getting a library card,
  • accompany you during your first steps in Braunschweig and assist you with any initial difficulties you may face,
  • show you around the university and the city, so you can settle in quickly.
  • have a look at the buddy programme's Facebook group
Apply now for the buddy programme

organized by the International Office in cooperation with the Internationale Gauß Freunde

Buddy Programme

To get you off to a good start in Braunschweig, we can find a peer student for you: Apply now »


to the top of the page