Living in Braunschweig

Semester ticket, bikes, physicians, emergency numbers and work permits: This page provides you with practical information you might need during your stay in Braunschweig.


Your student ID is also your semester ticket, which enables you to use all busses and tramways in Braunschweig and all local trains in Lower Saxony free of charge. Lower Saxony is quite a large federal state, which means that you can make weekend trips up to Hamburg, Bremen or the North Sea wihout having to buy a ticket, as long as you only use local trains.

Your semester ticket is only valid together with a passport or identity card.

Timetables and route plans can be found on the following web pages:

Travelling by bicycle

Braunschweig is a city of short distances and the best means of transport is the bicycle. Braunschweig's topography is mostly flat without any steep slopes and all main streets have cycle lanes. If you want to buy a second-hand bike, there are several possibilities:

  • Fleamarkets
  • Bicycle auctions take place twice a year at Braunschweig's lost property office.
  • Ebay-Kleinanzeigen
  • Ask your German fellow students! Some of them may have an extra bike they no longer use and could lend to you for the time of your stay.

Railway travel

Railway travel in Germany is rather expensive, unless you take advantage of one of the many special fares and discounts offered by Deutsche Bahn. With certain offers, you can save up to 50% and more, so it is well worth inquiring about them.

  • BahnCard 25: costs € 61 per year. You save 25% on all DB train tickets.
  • BahnCard 50: costs € 127 per year for students under the age of 27. You save 50% on all DB train tickets.
  • With the Sparpreis (Saving fare), you can get a discount of between 25% and 50% on special train tickets. Tickets should be booked as early as possible, as there is only a very limited number of these tickets available.
  • With the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket you and 4 further people can travel all over Germany for € 42. It is valid on Saturdays or Sundays and on local trains only.

Find a doctor

If you fall ill, your primary contact for all health issues is a general practitioner (Allgemeinmediziner oder Hausarzt). The best way to find a doctor is to ask your fellow students or friends for a recommendation.

If necessary, the general practitioner will refer you to a specialist (Facharzt). Ask the doctor to recommend somebody and to make an appointment for you directly.

Seeing a doctor

Most doctors expect you to make an appointment by telephone. If you are seriously ill, make it clear that you would like to see the doctor that same day. Please do not forget to take your health insurance card (EHIC-Card or German health insurance card) with you.

  • If you have statutory health insurance the doctor will invoice all other costs directly to your health insurance.
  • If you have private health insurance you will receive an invoice which you will have to pay. You then submit the invoice to your health insurance company, which will refund your expenses.

Most medication in Germany is only available from pharmacies

  • Pharmacies offer a variety of over-the-counter medicines for the most common illnesses such as headaches and colds. You will have to pay for these yourself.
  • Many medications require a prescription issued by a doctor that you will have to take to a pharmacy.
  • If you have statutory health insurance you will have to pay between € 5 and € 10 for most medicines. The rest is covered by your health insurance.
  • If you have private health insurance, you will have to pay the cost of the medication at the time of purchase, then submit the receipt to your insurance company for a refund.

Emergency numbers: 112 Fire, accidents & ambulance       110 Police

Pharmacy emergency service

Pharmacies offer a pharmacy emergency service on weekends and during the night-time, thus ensuring that you can obtain any necessary medicines at all times.

Medical emergeny service (Ärztlicher Notfalldienst)

In Germany, doctors' practices are closed on Wednesday afternoons and over the weekend. During these times, you should visit the medical emergency service:

An der Petrikirche 1, 38100 Braunschweig, 0531/ 44033
Mon - Thu: 19.00 - 7.00 morgens (Wed from 13.00) & Fri 17.00 - Mon 7.00

Accidents and emergencies

  • emergency hospital: Städtisches Klinikum Braunschweig
  • serious emergencies: call an ambulance immediately, 112.
    State your name and address (street and number) slowly and clearly several times.
Working in Braunschweig

Most students on exchange programmes hold a partial or full scholarship, so that they possess the financial means for their studies at TU Braunschweig. Please plan your budget early and realistically! It is not possible to finance your study period at Braunschweig by working in Germany!

If you think about looking for a paid part-time employment in Germany, you must observe the German labour law regulations for international students.

  • Students from non-EU countries are not allowed to work for more than 120 days or 240 half days.
  • DAAD scholarship holders who want to work while studying in Germany require permission from the DAAD in advance.
  • Students who earn more than € 450  per month are liable to pay contributions to the German pension fund. These contributions are transferable within the EU, students from non-EU countries can apply for a refund.

For most employment, you will need a German tax card and a German social insurance card. The tax card can be obtained from the local tax office (Finanzamt), the social insurance card from the German Pension Insurance Braunschweig-Hannover (Deutsche Rentenversicherung Braunschweig-Hannover).

When you apply, please take the following documents with you:

  • passport or identity card
  • residence permit

Semester ticket

On these train routes you can use your semester ticket  »»
Train connections »»
Bus connections »»

Emergeny Numbers






to the top of the page