Preparing your Stay at TU Braunschweig

A study period abroad requires a lot of preparation before you leave your home country. These are the key points that you need to think about:


months in advance
Financing your stay

Compared with other German cities, Braunschweig is an inexpensive city for students to live in. Nevertheless, you will need at least 700 per month for your living expenses. Please budget your stay early and realistically! Especially during the beginning of your stay, you should allow some extra money for unexpected costs and payments.

Monthly living expenses at a glance 
  • Accommodation
€ 320
  • Food
€ 190
  • Clothing
€ 45
  • Health insurance
€ 90
  • Liability insuirance
€ 7
  • Study materials, textbooks and computer
€ 55
  • Telephone and Internet
€ 35
  • Leisure and sports
€ 80
  • Semester fees
approx. € 300 per semester

This is how much Maria pays for her study in Braunschweig

As an exchange student from Spain, Maria is studying Mechanical Engineering at Braunschweig. She shares an apartment with four other students. They divide rent and utilities between them.

During her exchange year, Maria wants to improve her German and get to know the German way of life. Her German was not that good when she first came to Braunschweig, so she now takes four hours of German lessons at the Language Centre. As an exchange student she gets these free of charge.

She also saves money on health insurance as her Spanish health insurance cover is recognized in Germany.

At the weekends Maria likes exploring other German cities: Hanover, Hamburg, Bremen – the trips there are free for her thanks to the semester ticket! The clubs and bars unfortunately are not.

These are Maria’s monthly expenses in Euros: 
  • Accommodation
€ 320
  • Food
€ 200
  • Clothing
€ 60
  • Health insurance
  • Liability insurance
€ 7
  • Study materials, books and computer
€ 50
  • Telephone and internet
€ 40
  • Leisure and sports
€ 95
  • Public transportation
€ 0
Total expenses:€ 862

Additionally, Maria has to pay semester fees of approximately € 300 at the beginning of each new semester. 


months in advance
Language preparation

Courses in German and English

The language of instruction at TU Braunschweig is German. Some study courses offer classes in English. Research and thesis work can usually be done in English.

German language knowledge

As an exchange student you must prove that you have adequate language knowledge to follow the lectures. Therefore please hand in a language certificate German or English according to CEFR depending on your course choice. The language certificate can be issued by your home institution. Native speakers are exempted. In order for you to successfully study in Braunschweig we strongly recommend a language level of B1/B2.

Should you wish to improve your German skills, the Language Centre at TU Braunschweig offers summer courses and German classes during the semester on all levels.


months in advance

Remember to plan your housing well in advance! You can apply for a room in our halls of resicence or you can rent a private accommodation.

Living in a hall of residence

The Studentenwerk at TU Braunschweig has 10 halls of residence with more than 2,000 rooms for university students. Room types range from single rooms with a shared kitchen and bathroom to individual apartments. Rents range from € 280 to € 600 including electricity, water and heating. Additionally, you will need to pay a deposit of € 400 when you move into your room. When you move out, this deposit will be refunded, assuming that nothing has been damaged. All rooms come with Internet access and a telephone connection and are fully furnished. This does not include mattresses, blankets, pillows, sheets, towels, dishes or cutlery. However, you can acquire several “starter packages” with basic equipment.


For Exchange Students the International Office applies for a room in the dormitory upon request. The relevant document and further information will be provided together with the Letter of Acceptance.

Accommodation cannot be guarenteed by the University. Please start searching for accommodation an soon as possible. Offers are usually provided by Studentenwerk 4-6 weeks before the move in date.

Living in a private apartment or shared accommodation (WG)

Braunschweig has a large number of private apartments and shared accommodation (WG) for rent. Prices range from € 200 to € 300 for a room in a shared apartment and from € 260 to € 380 for a single apartment, plus utility costs (electricity, water, heating).

Finding a room or apartment

Rooms and apartments to rent can be found on the university's bulletin boards, in newspapers and here: University's Studentenwerk  |  WG-Gesucht  |  braunschweig.de (link list)

Abbreviations in adverts for apartments

Reading through private apartment adverts, you will find that they use a lot of abbreviations. The Studentenwerk offers a helpful list of the most common abbreviations.


months in advance

Entry without visa

If you come from one of the following countries, you do not need a visa to enter Germany for study purposes:

  • EU member states
  • Israel
  • USA and Canada
  • Some South and Central American states
  • Australia and New Zealand
  • Japan and South Korea

Visa required

Students from all other countries need to obtain a Visa for Educational Purposes in order to study at TU Braunschweig. Detailed information on visa and travel regulations is provided on the web pages of the DAAD and the Federal Foreign Office.

Applying for your visa

You can apply for a Visa for Educational Purposes (Visum zu Studienzwecken) at the German embassy or consulate in your home country, as soon as you have received your acceptance letter from TU Braunschweig.

Please do not enter Germany with a tourist visa or any other type of visa!
Enrollment is only possible with a valid student visa, and visa types cannot be changed once you are in Germany!

Proof of financial resources

In order to receive your visa or residence permit in Germany, you have to prove that you can finance your stay in Germany. As an exchange student, you usually hold a partial or full scholarship from your home university or from a scholarship organisation such as the DAAD. Your scholarship certificate, for example an Erasmus or DAAD certificate, will be accepted as sufficient financial proof. 


months in advance

All students studying at TU Braunschweig require adequate health and liability insurance. Proof of this has to be presented when you enrol for your courses. Without sufficient insurance cover you cannot be enrolled at TU Braunschweig!

The simplest option is to take out German insurance policies. If you intend to rely on insurance policies taken out with providers in your home country, ensure that these are valid in Germany and that they offer the same cover as their equivalent here.

German statutory health insurance for students

Upon your arrival you can take out statutory health insurance for students. This covers all costs for medical treatment and hospital stays, plus most of the cost of any prescription medicines. It is available from a number of public health insurance providers and costs around € 90 per month. More information about health insurance: DAAD | consumer portal

If you come from another EU member state

If you have health insurance in another EU country and an EHIC card, you are covered by your national health scheme and do not need to take out German health insurance. Please enclose a copy of your EHIC card with your application documents. Make sure your EHIC card is valid for the complete time of your stay in Braunschweig and do not forget to carry it with you at all times, once you are in Braunschweig.

Recognition of other foreign health insurance schemes

Only a German statutory health insurance provider can verify and confirm whether your national health insurance does comply with the German standard. To receive this confirmation, you need to present your documents at the local office of an appropriate insurance provider as soon as you are in Braunschweig. Enquiries by post, phone or e-mail will usually not be answered.

Under no circumstances should you take out a travel insurance for the time of your stay in Braunschweig! Travel insurance policies do not provide adequate cover. It is not possible to enrol at TU Braunschweig with a travel insurance!

Liability insurance

We expect all of our students to take out a personal liability insurance policy (Haftpflichtversicherung). This policy covers any accidental damage you might cause to other persons and their property. Accidents can easily result in costs amounting to millions of Euros, for example if you cause a car or bicycle accident. Without personal liability cover you alone are responsible for any damages and all resulting costs.

Before you come to Germany, check whether you have an international liability insurance policy. If you do have one, bring appropriate proof to your enrolment. If not, you can take out a policy here in Braunschweig for about € 7 per month.

PhD Students

For PhD students, the same principle applies as for all other exchange students: to conduct research or to work at TU Braunschweig, you need to be adequately insured. As PhD candidates in Germany do not have student status, you are not eligible for the low-price health insurance available to Bachelor and Master students. Instead, you have the choice of

  • bringing your national health insurance, as long as this offers a level of cover equivalent to a German statutory health insurance,
  • or taking out private health insurance in Germany.
  • If you are an employee at TU Braunschweig, you will automatically have health insurance.


months in advance
Buddy programme

To make your start in Braunschweig easy, we can find a buddy for you.
Your peer student knows Braunschweig and the university and will:

  • pick you up from Braunschweig train station and show you your accommodation
  • assist you with the first steps in Braunschweig, such as enrolling, opening a bank account, visiting the Foreigners' Registration Office or getting a library card
  • assist you with all initial difficulties you may face.
  • show you around the university and the city, so you can find your way around easily and settle in quickly.
  • Have a look at the buddy Programme's facebook group
Online Application: Buddy Programme

The buddy programme is organized through the International Office in cooperation with the
Erasmus Student Network and the International Gauß Freunde.


to the top of the page