TU BRAUNSCHWEIG

History of the institute

1745

By the suggestion of abbot Johann Friedrich Wilhelm Jerusalem duke Karl I. from Brunswick and Lüneburg established the Collegium Carolinum. Technical, science and mercantilistic subjects, philology, humanities and social sciences, theology and surgery are taught. At the department of financial and state administration sciences the subject of agriculture and forestry is taught. 48 students are registered.


1831

Appointment of the agronomist Carl Sprengel from Göttingen for setting up an agricultural education and research institute.


1835

Division of the "Collegium Carolinum" in three departments, the humanistic, the technical and the mercantilistic division. In the technical division, four lecturers are responsible for the education in agriculture.


1862

The humanistic and the mercantilistic division are given up and the "Collegium Carolinum " is renamed in "Herzogliche Polytechnische Schule" (Ducal Polytechnical School). Agriculture is taught as one of eight subjects.


1877

The polytechnic moved in the new build building in the Pockelsstraße und is renamed in "Technical University Carolo-Wilhelmina" in honour of duke Wilhelm who has promoted the new-building substantially. At the same time - in spring 1878 - it gets a new constitution. 211 students are registered.


1921

Teaching assignment: general mechanical engineering in agriculture,
Gov. master builder Dr.-Ing. Franz Foedisch


1926

Lecture: agricultural machines, mill engineering and construction equipment, Dr.-Ing. Karl Stöckmann.


1929

Setting up of an institute for agricultural machinery and mill engineering. The director is Prof. Dr.-Ing Karl Stöckmann.


1950

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Georg SeglerActual foundation of the institute for agricultural machinery; appointment of associate professor Dr.-Ing. Georg Segler, who was born in Renneberg (Pomerania) July 11th, 1906, PhD at Prof. Kühne; full professor since 1952. In 1957 he had been offered an appointment
to the University of Hohenheim.






1958

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Hans Jürgen MatthiesAppointment of Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hans Jürgen Matthies, who was born in Teterow/ Mecklenburg, PhD at Prof. Segler, head of construction at the company Gebr.Welger in Wolfenbüttel.










1958-62

New building of the institute for agricultural machinery, Langer Kamp 19a.


1971

Integration of "Ölhydraulic" (oil hydraulics/fluid power) as a new subject.


1972

Integration of "earth moving machinery" as a new subject; Teaching assignment to Dr.-Ing. Günther Krempel; 1974: teaching assignment to Dr.-Ing. Helmut Heusler, 1977 honorary professor; 1990: teaching assignment to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hans Heinrich Meiners; since 1996: teaching assignment to Dr.-Ing. René Schulz.


1990

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich HarmsManager of development at Claas Saulgau in Saulgau and later at Gebr. Welger in Wolfenbüttel.
Appointment of university professor Dr.-Ing. Hans-Heinrich Harms who was born in Diepholz/ Niedersachsen in 1947 at june, 16th; PhD at Prof. Matthies






1991

Integration of "municipal technology and landscape maintenance" as a new subject.


1991

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hans Jürgen Matthies is awarded the honorary doctorate of the Technical University of Munich.


1995

Because fluid power technology becomes more and more popular, the institute's name is changed to "institute for agricultural machinery and fluid power technology".


1996

Integration of "pneumatics" as a new subject;
1996: teaching assignment to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Huu-Tri Nguyen.


1997

Foundation of the association of supporters of the institute for agricultural machinery and fluid power technology ( president is Prof. Dr.-Ing. U. Seiffert)


2001

Doctor Honoris Causa for Prof. Dr.-Ing Harms at "Transilvania Universitatea Brasov"


2005 Prof. Dr.-Ing. Hans-Heinrich Harms is awarded the internationally approved "Joseph Bramah Medal" of the Mechatronics, Information and Control Group of the "Institution of Mechanical Engineers" London; in Linköping, Sweden.
2009 Postdoctoral qualification as associate professor of Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lang in the teaching field of Hydraulic Driveline Technologies.
2010 Provisional management of the Institute for Agricultural Machinery and Fluid Power Technology by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lang
2012

Prof. Dr. L. frerichsAppointment of Prof. Dr. Ludger Frerichs, born 1959
in Sedelsberg (Oldenburg), as professor for mobile machines and commercial vehicles.

Renaming of the institute to Institute of
Mobile Machines and Commercial Vehicles.



  last changed 13.03.2019
TU_Icon_E_Mail_1_17x17_RGB pagetop