Intended learning outcome: The students are able to
- describe the most important available acoustic numerical methods based on characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.
- derive the mathematical principles of each numerical method by giving the related equations based on the underlying models and simplifying assumptions.
- apply a numerical method taking into account suitable acoustic parameters.
- choose a suitable numerical method based on their advantages and disadvantages for a given acoustic problem.
- justify the applicability of a given numerical method for a given acoustic problem based on the underlying theory.
- conceptualize a suitable hybrid method for simulating a practical multi-physics problem by connecting their knowledge of existing numerical methods.
- to implement code fragments into a given acoustic numerical tool.
- Fundamentals and Definitions: Basic acoustical knowledge and mathematical modelling.
- Modelling and Simulation: Modelling of acoustic problems, simulation process, and introduction to the major numerical methods of acoustics.
- Finite Element Method (FEM): Introduction to FEM, FEM modelling of fluid domain, structural domain and coupled problems, level of finite element discretization, FEM for free field/radiation problems, free field boundary conditions, mathematical formulation of plate, damping models, fluid-structure interaction, and application examples.
- Boundary Element Method (BEM): Introduction to BEM, BEM modelling, mathematical formulation, uniqueness of BEM, strategies to overcome non-uniqueness, and application examples.
- Geometrical Methods: Introduction to major geometrical methods of Mirror Image Source Method (MISM), Ray Tracing Method (RTM), and application examples.
- Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA): Introduction to SEA, basic parameters of SEA, and application examples.
- Hybrid Methods: Motivation for hybrid methods. Coupling of methods: FEM-BEM, FEM-Scaled Boundary FEM, BEM-RTM, RTM-FEM, CFD-FEM/BEM, SEA-FEM, and application examples.
- Parameter Identification and Validation: Introduction to parameter identification, validation, validation criteria, and verification.