Application & Visa

We’re here for you!

The application process at a foreign university and the application for a visa involve some challenges for international students. We are happy to support you to overcome these hurdles so that you can soon start with your studies at TU Braunschweig.

Applying at TU Braunschweig

Most Bachelor's programmes begin once a year in the winter semester. Application for the summer semester is possible for pharmacy, some Bachelor's programmes, most of our Master's programmes and for higher semesters. The international Master's programmes CSE und Data Science have separate application deadlines.

On the following websites you will find all important information about the application process. Please select whether you would like to complete a full degree programme (degree-seeking) at TU Braunschweig or whether you are coming to TU Braunschweig as an exchange student for one or two semesters.

Please note that the application procedures differ!

Application as degree-seeking student

Application as exchange student


At TU Braunschweig you can choose your favourite subject from 84 Bachelor's and Master's programmes. These also include degree programmes that are offered in English or bilingually. You can find an overview of all degree programmes and detailed descriptions here.

Englisch courses

At TU Braunschweig you will find a wide range of courses taught in English. You can find an overview here.

Guidance in the Study Service Center

Degree-seeking students

Further information on visa requirements and proof of funding for degree-seeking students can be found here.

Exchange students

Further information on visa requirements and proof of funding for exchange students can be found here.

Apply for a visa

Depending on your home country, you need to have a visa to study in Germany. You should apply for the visa for study purposes at the German embassy or consulate at least three months before your departure to Germany. For the visa application you will need your admission to TU Braunschweig and your proof of funding. Detailed information on visa and travel regulations is provided by the DAAD and the Federal Foreign Office.

Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa, as this will not allow you to enrol!

You can find an overview of visa regulations for entry into the Federal Republic of Germany for all countries on the following website:

Overview visa requirement

Enrolment at TU Braunschweig

After you have taken out your health insurance, you can enrol at TU Braunschweig. You have received detailed information on enrolment with your letter of acceptance. Here we have informed you of

  • the period in which you must enrol,
  • which documents must be submitted for enrolment,
  • the amount of the semester contribution you have to pay.

After you have enrolled, you will receive your temporary student identity card, which can be used as a semester ticket from the beginning of the semester. You will also receive a temporary enrolment certificate.


Searching for information in the Study Service Center

Renewal of enrolment

Registering at the university is only the first step. You need to renew your enrolment each semester to be able to continue your studies. To do so, you will need to pay the semester contribution for the coming term.

Semester contribution

The semester contribution for the 2021/22 winter semester covers the following:

EUR 108.00 Student Support Services contribution
EUR 208.51 student body contribution (including the Semester Ticket)
EUR 75.00 contribution to administrative costs
= EUR 391.51 semester contribution

Renewal of residence permit

Your residence permit for study purposes is always issued for a limited period and must then be extended. For this purpose, your officer from the Immigration Office will send you an e-mail about 8 weeks before your residence permit expires containing a date for applying for the extension. If you do not receive an invitation, you should contact your immigration officer yourself, if possible also by e-mail. In the e-mail from the Foreigners' Registration Office you will find a list of all documents which are necessary for the renewal of your residence permit. Please compile the documents in good time and bring them with you to your appointment.

Registration with the City of Braunschweig and the Foreigners Authority

For your stay in Braunschweig you have to register with the city of Braunschweig and possibly apply for a residence permit. We recommend you going to the appointments at the registration and immigration office together with your buddy.