Individual doctorates

If you already have a state examination, diploma, Magister or master’s degree, you can do doctoral studies in order to gain a doctorate. The Carl-freidrich-Gauß-Fakultät can award the titles 

  • Doktorin/Doktor der Staatswissenschaften (Dr. rer. pol.)
  • Doktorin/Doktor der Wirtschaftswissenschaften (Dr. rer. pol.)
  • Doktorin/Doktor der Sozialwissenschaften (Dr. rer. soc.)
  • Doktorin/Doktor der Philosophie (Dr. phil.)
  • Doktorin/Doktor der Naturwissenschaften (Dr. rer. nat.)
  • Doktor-Ingenieurin/Doktor-Ingenieur (Dr.-Ing.)

The traditional way to obtain a PhD is the candidate's integration into the teaching and research activities of an institute or chair, thereby working on an individual research project under the supervision of a professor of the faculty. 

If you are interested in a doctorate at the Carl-Friedrich-Gauß-Faculty, you should first of all identify a person who could act as supervisor for your doctoral project. Please inform yourself about the individual subjects on the websites of the institutes of our departments and then contact potential supervisors yourself.

Important documents (in German)




Publication of the thesis

Please see also the Website of Universitätsbibliothek concerning the publication of your thesis.

Postgraduate Students' Office
Cornelia Pioch, Rebenring 58A, 1. OG, Raum 116